Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Experiencing Santiago

Instead of spending the weekend in another country, I chose to explore Santiago a bit more. On Friday, I toured the streets of Santiago antiguo (the old part) before having lunch at the local horse racetrack. After watching one race, I realized that when you don't be any money, it's not that fun. Still, it was definitely one of the things I had to see during my time here.

Another "must-do" in Santiago, at least for the younger crowd, is visit a bar called "La Piojera," a.k.a. "Lice." With a name like that, you can imagine what this bar might be like. At 7:30pm it was so packed with Chileans that I could hardly walk to the bar. Then it took fifteen minutes to order the bar's signature drink, a terremoto (earthquake), which consists of some sort of liqueur, white wine, I think, and sorbet. Once I got my drink, I met up with a few gringos from work and enjoyed the surrounding chaos that generally characterizes that bar. I felt so Chilean.

I lost that feeling a few hours later when I sat down at an American sports bar and watched the Yankees beat the Angels. I felt very at home expect for this old Chilean who spoke to my friend and me for 25 minutes about his new book idea (which I didn't understand at all).

After such a great Friday night, I had low expectations for Saturday. However, Santiago is full of surprises. A few friends and I opted for a low-key night of music and food at the local Club de Jazz. Little did we know that it was the club's birthday, which meant a glass of champagne and a piece of cake on the house for each customer. That alone would have made my night and still, things got even better. Three New Orleans jazz bands took to the stage, each one as good or better than the last. I was entranced. Three hours went by like ten minutes. Needless to say, I'm going back.

Alright, enough of my rambling. Please send me an email about your life...unless, of course, I don't know you, in which case you should probably go...forever. :)

1 comment:

  1. Kel- judging from your pictures and posts... I have determined your most consistent activity seems to be... drinking. Wine. At bars. hahaha Wish I were there. I love you so much and I love this blog :)

    oh.. one more thing... a piece of advice... when attempting to make friends... don't forget the almost 19 years you spent doing gymnastics- just do a flip flop! or maybe a standing double back? you could always walk along a very thin piece of wood and do that awkward spin thing! Everyone loves someone who can balance. If that doesn't work just show them how to play bucking bronco... a good time will be had by all.

    ReplyDelete