Monday, October 12, 2009

Don't Cry for Me Argentina

Best weekend ever.

It started Friday morning with an 8 hour bus ride through the Andes to Mendoza, Argentina. I was so entranced by the view from my window that I never once felt the need listen to my ipod, which is saying something considering how hyperactive I am. Upon arrival, I followed the Google map I had printed out to Avenida Mitre 946. Note to self #1: there are TWO streets called Avenida Mitre in Mendoza. After walking through a very sketchy part of town for twenty-five minutes, I scrambled into an athletic store, got directions, and then prayed as I walked back to the bus station. Evidently, I lived.

I quickly forgot my dangerous excursion once I entered downtown Mendoza. It's a very fun and young city with something different on every street. There are five plazas (like parks) throughout the city which serve as gathering points for artisans and musicians on a holiday weekend like this one. On Friday night, two of my amigas and I went to Plaza Espana to watch live performances of various Argentinean dances (though sadly, we did not see any tango). I spent following morning exploring the city before going on a bus wine tour to two bodegas and a in-house manufacturer of liqueur, chocolate, and olive oil. Note to self #2: Never, and I mean NEVER, take a sip of absinthe. It tastes like liquid fiery death.

Things only got better from there. I woke up early on Sunday morning for an afternoon of trekking, repelling, and soaking in hot springs. It felt great to hike after being limited by my crutches all summer. Despite my love for heights, repelling was a bit unnerving at time, but whatever stress I felt on the descent was long gone after spending time relaxing in the naturally heated water of Argentina's termas. Note to self #3: bring a swimsuit when traveling - that way I'll never have to wear a sports bar and underwear to the pool (again).

I left last night at 10:30pm to travel back to Santiago and get cracking on the one thing I had yet to really explore since arriving here: my homework. I had hoped to sleep through the night on the surprisingly comfortable bus, but one look out the window and I knew that no amount of sleep was worth missing an uninterrupted view of that starlit sky. It might be impossible for you to imagine this, but I actually sat still peering out the window without speaking for several hours. All I could think was (quite literally), 'I am the most undeservingly fortunate person in the world.' Then Psalm 8:3-4 very appropriately entered my mind:

When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place

what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?

Now I'm back in Santiago and enjoying el Dia de la Raza (Day of the Race - celebration of one's heritage). I have a lot of work to do, but every minute I spent in Argentina was worth it. :)

2 comments:

  1. i should start calling you dora the explorer :) so jealous of all your activities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh fee! Sounds like you are having the best time! Live it up! We miss you back here in los estados unidos!

    ReplyDelete