Thursday, September 24, 2009

Chileans love America and I love Chile.

Only one week down and already so much has happened. The very first day I got a literal taste of Chile when I ate my first empanada - kind of like a calzone with a wide range of fillings from cheese to ham to veggies. I also ate the classic Chilean completo (hot dog) and pan picante (similar to a spicy hot dog). The food doesn't differ too much from the US, but I already know the two things I will want to eat first when I return: a big ole' salad and PEANUT BUTTER (which is very expensive here).

On the academic front, we had orientation this week. I'm taking three classes (only 12 units - the minimum), doing research for a professor, and I just got a volunteer "internship" with an organization that works to eradicate la pobreza (poverty) in Chile.

In order to keep this short, I will tell you the three eventos mejores (best events):
1. Learning the merengue, salsa, and some other dance in a bar on Wednesday night
2. Seeing one of Pablo Neruda's houses
3. Being kissed on the cheek (which is customary in Chile) by a homeless man named Julio who then proceeded to follow my friends and I down the street

That's all for now. Ciao! (In general, Chileans use "ciao" instead of "adios")

Kelly :)

1 comment:

  1. i love that of the three dishes you described, two of them were hot dogs, haha.

    ReplyDelete